The DeLonghi BAR32 is a quality espresso and cappucino maker with a stylish retro design. It will give you that great tasting coffee in the comfort of your own home, at your convenience. For under $200 (under $100 if you buy through the link below), it is simply exceptional value.
Here are some of the great features of the DeLonghi BAR32:
Retro Pump Espresso and Cappuccino Maker
- You can choose to brew either ground espresso, or E.S.E pods with the unique patented dual filter holder. This gives you great choice, allowing you to tailor you espresso or cappucino to your tastes;
- You can enjoy espresso or cappuccino at the perfect temperature with two separate thermostats;
- If you prefer cappuccino you’ll love using the easy-to-use swivel jet frother, which makes perfect drinks every time.
- It has a self-priming operation to eliminate complicated start-up preparation;
- The water tank and drip tray are both removable for ease of use and maintenance;
- It has a durable, high-quality stainless steel boiler for a long life, thus ensuring many cups of delicious espresso;
- I have already mentioned the price (you can get it for under $100 if you buy through the above link);
- It has good pressure (15 BAR pump pressure), helping ensure a great cup of coffee;
- It is easy to use, as it has only 2 dials and no buttons;
- The steam wand is outstanding;
- 32oz water reservoir lets you make 3 or 4 cappuccinos, or 6 to 8 espressos, without refilling;
- Built-in tamper means one less part to lose;
- Pre-heat cycle helps make good espresso;
- It is quite small, with dimensions 10.6 x 8.7 x 12.6 inches
Check out the following video for more info:
Important things that people need to know before buying the DeLonghi BAR32.
1) The steam wand. One reviewer said that the steam wand was a little cramped, so to get round this, he moved the machine to the edge of the counter, so he can get a good mug under it. In terms of using the steam wand properly, I’ll quote what he says, because this particular reviewer (Kevin T. Quinn) knows his stuff:
‘I steam straight into the mug of milk, and then add the espresso. Make sure to blow some steam through it to clear out condensation before putting it in your milk. Start with the steam wand nearly submerged in the milk, and then slowly pull it out (lower the mug) until you hear a gentle “sipping” sound. That means that it’s frothing. If you see noticeable bubbles on top of the milk, that means you’ve pulled it out too far – dip it back in slowly and you should be able to whip the bubbles into froth. Once the froth is just below the level you want it, submerge the wand back into the milk to finish heating it. Listen again – once the milk starts to sound “hollow,” it’s nearly hot enough. Let it go for a few more seconds, then shut off the steam, and remove the mug. The wand will drip a bit, so put it over the drip tray or an empty mug.’
2) The importance of finely ground coffee. To have good coffee with espresso machines, you will need to grind the coffee really fine. As one reviewer put it: ‘Espresso machines need espresso ground coffee not larger grains’. These are a little bit more expensive, so bear that in mind. You can also use prepackaged pods that contain the coffee, and ‘Illy’ pods seem to be the recommended choice.
3) Clean according to the instructions. Most coffee makers need descaling (cleaning), and the DeLonghi BAR32 is no exception. Be advised that when descaling, do it according to the operators instructions. As one reviewer put it, ‘If you ever get another espresso maker add Cafiza to the order and use SPARINGLY. Then run plenty of water through it’. Another reviewer tried descaling using vinegar, which broke his machine – so be sure to ‘read the instructions properly!’. Another descaler you might want to try is Urnex Dezcal, which can also be ordered through amazon.com.
Let me start by saying that as of October 2011, a very large number of people (228) have reviewed this machine on amazon.com. That is a lot of people! The average customer rating for the machine is a whopping 4 stars (out of a maximum of 5) –a fantastic 80% approval rating.
However, like with most products, there is a minority that have not been satisfied with their purchase. Out of the 228 or so reviewers, 33 gave it two stars or below – around 14% of the reviewers. Here are some of the complaints:
1) Time to heat up the water. Some people have complained that it takes too long to heat up the water. But as one reviewer put it (Gian Luca Diana, amazon.com), ‘I usually turn it on 15 minutes before making the espresso and the water gets really hot, if you think that’s too long then you’ve never used an espresso machine before, it’s very average as a matter of fact’.
2) Leaking steam wand. Others have complained about the steam wand leaking a little. Again, in the words of the above reviewer ((Gian Luca Diana, amazon.com): ‘Others have complained about the steamer leaking a bit… NO KIDDING! It’s called vapor condensation, if you think that’s a machine issue I recommend going back to school and taking Physics 101. Not usually a big deal for me, just keep the steamer over the tray and the problem is solved… it’s only a drop or two anyway’.
3) Durability of the machine. A small number have complained about the durability of the machine in that it their particular machine broke after a short while. But again, this is only a minority of users.
Having said all of the above, the 4 star approval rating does suggest a large number of satisfied customers of the DeLonghi BAR32 espresso machine.
It seems people overall are satisfied with their purchase, and it so here are some reviews from a number of the satisfied customers:
‘In the end, the machine makes a good espresso, especially for the price…I definitely recommend it for anybody who wants to make their own espresso, but wants to do it for under $200’. (Kevin T. Quinn, amazon.com reviewer).
‘I’ve been a coffee snob for several years have several brewing machines scattered throughout my kitchen. Since I got this machine xmas morning, all the others brewing systems have become obsolete. It produces plenty of steam in a jiff, and the removable water tank is very handy (especially for use with my water filter). While I scoffed at the thought of using the ESE pre-packed espresso pods, it came with a tin of them, so I tried them out since all local coffee houses were closed (and I had no beans!)…This machine is a steal at this price. I’ve had to get the hang of packing my grounds in the handle, however. If I pack too tightly, the cream only comes out as a trickle. I suppose that’s the case with most home machines, however. ..This is a great little machine. For any price under $200 it’s a steal.’ (‘Kidnugget’, amazon.com reviewer).
‘I have had my D’Longhi Bar32 Retro for about a month now. This is my 5th espresso machine, having had Mr. Coffee, Krups, Salton and Hamilton Beech previously. I bought this one not only for the price and the 15 bar pump system, but in large part because so many reviewers commented about the longevity of this machine, and the quality of the espresso itself. While I can’t yet comment on this machine’s longevity, I can certainly attest to the quality of the espresso with a consistently wonderful cremma produced each and every time. My heart sings when I see the beautiful dark brew waiting for me to marry it up with a perfectly frothed pitcher of steamed milk. I am now seriously considering getting this machine for my son for Christmas. He does love his espresso!’ (‘Cafe Mel’, amazon.com reviewer).
The DeLonghi BAR32 espresso and cappuccino maker is a great value machine, making great quality coffees and espressos. If you purchase through the link, you may still be able to get it from amazon.com for under $100.