The Best Pod Coffee Maker: A Review
So which is the best pod coffee maker? Below is a comparison of four of the most popular single cup pod gourmet coffee makers based on customer reviews and coffee maker features, pros and cons.
What are Coffee Pods?
Pods look like round tea bags and are filled with either ground coffee, tea, cocoa, or dried milk (lattes and cappuccinos) for brewing in a single-cup pod coffee maker. The Melitta One:One coffee maker was the first coffee pod system introduced into the U.S. market in 2003.
Coffee Pod Pros:
- Is the least expensive of the 3 single-cup coffee delivery vessel options (K-Cup, T-Disc and Pod), averaging 25¢ to 35¢ /cup.
- Most varieties to choose from: 100s of coffees in addition to teas and cocoa.
- Easy to purchase – online or in local grocery stores, Walmart, etc.
- Pods offer cappuccino and latte frothy tops. (T-Discs do as well, K-Cups do not)
- Less waste than K-Cups and T-Discs. Coffee and filter can be composted/recycled. Plastic cups and Discs are presently not recyclable.
Coffee Pod Cons:
- Coffee does not stay as fresh in a pod as in the nitrogen-purged K-Cups and T-Discs (so proponents of the 2 latter say) although some pods, such as Fratello’s, are individually sealed in a nitrogen flushed pouch as well.
- Pods come in different sizes – 44mm, 55mm and 62mm diameters. Some are compatible with different brewers, others cannot and you must use only one manufacturer’s pod size. The 62mm size fits the most brewers including Senseo, Krups, Black & Decker and Mr. Coffee brewers. Melitta One:One can use any of the 3 sizes. The Juan Valdez uses the 55mm size.
- Any coffee roaster or distributor can put their coffee into pods – less quality control than K-Cups which are proprietary (coffee producers must get approval and license from Keurig)
- Perhaps a little more clean-up after removing the brewed pod compared to K-Cups and T-Discs
Now select one of the Pod Coffee Makers on the right for further information, review and where to purchase.
Have you heard of the Cocoa Latte Machine? Adults and kids are loving it.